the man behind the ‘stache
Back in college, Greg Golden got a laugh out of his wife (then girlfriend) by suggesting that they should sell pretzels shaped like mustaches.
Five years later, Greg quit his forensic accounting job to do just that. Armed with a little more then a clever slogan and a balky old box truck, Mustache Pretzels hit the streets in march 2014, and hasn’t looked back.
Why mustaches? Why pretzels? Because great mustaches aren’t born – they’re bread.
A timeline of excellence in pretzels shaped like mustaches:
- 2010 – While working on a project in business school with his then-girlfriend (now wife) Amanda, Greg suggests they should sell pretzels shaped like mustaches. Amanda laughs. Greg goes to work as at PwC and Amanda takes a job with General Mills.
- 2011-2013 – Greg’s go-to bit at work happy hours is telling co-workers that he’s going to quit the exciting world of forensic accounting to sell pretzels shaped like mustaches. Co-workers laugh.
- 2013 – Amanda’s job moves the couple to Arizona. Greg tests pretzel recipes, and quits the exciting world of forensic accounting to start a food truck that sells pretzels shaped like mustaches. Co-workers grimace.
- Mar 2014 – Mustache Pretzels food truck launches at A’s spring training in Phoenix!
- Nov 2014 – Greg quits side-hustle accounting gig to focus on Mustache Pretzels full time. Five days later, the truck’s engine and transmission need to be replaced, leaving the business with $0.57 in its checking account.
- 2015 – Business booms! Mustache Pretzels attains #1 “Most Loved” Arizona food truck ranking on Roaming Hunger.
- Mar 2016 – 2nd Mustache Pretzels truck opens!
- June 2016 – 1st indoor Mustache Pretzels location opens in the Phoenix Convention Center!
- Sept 2016 – Mustache Pretzels wins its first Phoenix Magazine “Best of the Valley” Award
- March 2017 – The shape of our Mustache Pretzel becomes a registered US Trademark!
- April 2017 – Mustache Pretzels is named the SCORE Organization’s Arizona Small Business Champion of the year
- May 2017 – Greg brings Mustache Pretzels truck #2 to his hometown of Philly for the summer! Mustache Pretzels makes Mental Floss’ list of Top 50 Food Trucks in the United States!
- Feb 2018 – Mustache Pretzels secures contract with HMSHost to open a storefront in Phoenix’s Sky Harbor Airport
- June 2018 – Mustache Pretzels becomes EatThis.com’s #1 “Must Try” food truck in Arizona
- Jan 2019 – Mustache Pretzels opens in Terminal 3 at Sky Harbor
- March 2019 – Our first pop-up shop opens at Tempe Festival of the Arts!